Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Orange Pull Apart Rolls

Monday, December 01, 2008

Orange Pull Apart Rolls



On Thanksgiving we were in charge of making the rolls. Of course we made my dad's famous potato rolls, it is a Dixon family tradition and they are the best:) But we also wanted to try something different...baking one thing just wasn't enough. So we tried an orange roll recipe from Martha Stewart.

The rolls were pull apart rolls. Martha wanted us to cut them into squares and stack them in a muffin tin, but we decided to stick with the classic clover leaf rolls. So you still could pull them apart, just in a different fashion:)

The rolls were good. We added extra
orange zest and juice, so the flavor was nice and sweet! Between both kinds of rolls we were in heaven...Josh had nine on Turkey Day, but who is counting. It was a day for indulgence:) The potato rolls were my favorite. I liked the orange rolls but I am still on a search for the perfect orange roll recipe. So if anyone has one, please share!





Orange Pull Apart Rolls
Adapted from Martha Stewart

Makes 24

2 envelopes active yeast (2 scant tablespoons)
1/4 cup warm water mixed with a pinch of sugar
1 cup scalded milk, cooled slightly
2 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
Vegetable oil cooking spray, for bowl and tins

In a mixing bowl, sprinkle yeast over sugar water; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add milk, eggs, granulated sugar, salt, half the zest, and shortening. Slowly add flour, mixing until combined. Knead until shiny and elastic, 3 to 5 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl; cover with plastic. Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/4 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make filling: In a small bowl, mix remaining zest, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, and butter. On a well-floured work surface, gently knead dough 3 to 4 times to release air pockets. Roll out dough to an 18-by-14-inch rectangle, dusting with flour as needed. Brush some of the filling over bottom half; fold to enclose. Brush half with filling, and fold again to enclose. Let rest about 5 minutes.

Roll out dough again to a 16-by-10-inch rectangle. Brush half with remaining filling, and fold. Cut into small squares (about 2 inches). Place squares in coated muffin tins, with layers facing up. (We didn’t do the squares. We rolled the dough into three balls, for clover leaf rolls.) Let rise until almost doubled in bulk, 12 to 15 minutes.

Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven; let rest 1 minute in tin, then transfer rolls to a cooling rack.
Make a thick icing by whisking together remaining 2 cups confectioners' sugar and the juice. Drizzle over cooled rolls. Serve.



Labels: ,

47 Comments:

Blogger Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

these rolls look so appetizing!!!! Great for snack!!! ^_^

7:53 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

mmm the rolls are sooo important at thanksgiving and it looks like you brought two awesome types! Hope you had a lovely time :)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

These look fabulous! If we were having Thanksgiving together, I'd have to stop myself from trying to put you in charge of everything, because I know that it would all be so wonderful if you made it! These orange rolls look pretty perfect to me. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

8:00 AM  
Blogger April said...

These rolls look fantastic!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Live.Love.Eat said...

They look incredible even though I am not a big citrusy bread type. Love good ol fashion bread n buttah! :)

8:15 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Yum! Those would be great for breakfast!

8:30 AM  
Blogger anudivya said...

These little guys look so good! I wish I had some oranges on hand to try them.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

The glaze looks absolutely divine!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

These look delicious!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Those rolls look so tempting I just would like to pick one or two *giggle* from my screen and tuck in - YUM

Rosie x

9:16 AM  
Blogger grace said...

pull-apart rolls are loads of fun to begin with, but flavoring them with orange and topping them with a glaze just makes them irresistible. to me, anyway. :)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

there is a bakery in Provo that makes the BEST orange rolls. I wish I could get their recipe...

11:25 AM  
Blogger The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Yum. What great recipes. I love rolls. My husband loves them even more. I always say he likes to eat "small units of bread".

I was seriously considering baking rolls for Thanksgiving, but I had too much on my proverbial plate as it was.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Cakebrain said...

your orange rolls look so perfect! they're lovely dripping with their glaze and I'll bet they're tender too! You can't beat freshly baked rolls!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Your orange rolls look awesome! I just ran across your blog, and I am loving it! I will be back soon.

1:40 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

I can't get enough of rolls...I'm so addicted. These look yummy!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! I'm going to give this a try with grapefruits!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Joy the Baker said...

These pull apart rolls are absolutely beautiful! I could easily throw back nine in a day! No problem! Hope you had a lovely holiday!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh yum. These looks so good - I love the dripping glaze. Delicious.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, they look beautiful! A luscious treat! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

2:31 PM  
Blogger CookiePie said...

Those rolls look beautiful!!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

These rolls look so appetizing - I'll be trying them very soon.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Joie de vivre said...

Oh yummy. Homemade rolls are my absolute favorite part of any meal, yours look AMAZING!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

YUMMY!
I want one.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

mmm, these look great :D and i love your list in the previous post - those are some of my favorite things, too :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

I have to try these, I love anything orange! They look wonderful!!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I have been meaning to try orange rolls at home, but there are so many things to make and not enough time! These look yummy. I am interested in the potato rolls too. My brother used to eat at least 20 at Thanksgiving. I think it is funny that you knew how many your hubby consumed :)

6:48 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

NONE rolls??!!!!! I dont want to think about how much food I ate!
Orange rolls sound FAB!!!
Thanks for your SUPER SWEET comment on my blog!!!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Manggy said...

Hey, you guys are on a roll! Get it? Hee hee hee. I'm not sure which one I'll love more-- potato or orange-- so can I just hoard them all? ;)

7:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh my God these look delicious! Do you know those orange danish rolls made by Pillsbury? Those are my favorite and these looks just as delicious...even more so because they're homemade. Too bad I'm terrible at yeast. :( I may have to try it anyway! :)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I want some for breakfast.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yum, those look soooo delicious!

8:04 PM  
Blogger creampuff said...

I love orange in baking. Those rolls look so cute!

8:07 PM  
Blogger NKP said...

I love the rolls, I am a real bread person.
I haven't tried making clover leaf rolls but have been seeing a lot of them this (Am.) Thanksgiving.
Orange sounds good, I shall give them a try one day soon.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what a lovely treat!!! looks so soft and appealing, i just want a bite... :)

10:05 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Oh yum!!! I love the clover shape! They are always great to pull apart and douse in butter!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Deeba PAB said...

WOW...these look really really good to me! Hope thanksgiving was great Marie! Thanks for stopping by! Cheers Deeba

1:50 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Those look yummy! The bread is one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

These look wonderful!

4:33 AM  
Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am definitely going to try these Maria, they look and sound awesome.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

They still look perfect!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Suburban Monkey said...

I love Orange rolls, we had a sister in our last ward that was famous for her orange rolls. She told me that her recipe was in her head and wasn’t very forth coming with ingredients so I never got the recipe but wish I had!

1:40 PM  
Blogger eatme_delicious said...

Oh my these look good and amazingly soft!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Summer Athena said...

these look delish! my goodness.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Brilynn said...

Those rolls look great but I think I'm going to try your potato rolls! I'm currently in search of a great dinner roll and I'm hoping they're it.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Wow those look absolutely divine!

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home