Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Whole Wheat Crepes with Spinach and Mushrooms

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Whole Wheat Crepes with Spinach and Mushrooms



There are days when I want a good meal, but FAST and I mean FAST!! I am not a patient person:) Some would opt to go through a drive-thru or eat out, but remember I said good meal:) So what did we do the other night when we were starving and craving good, healthy food? We went to Closet Cooking and found a fabulous recipe to try!!

We stumbled upon Kevin's Spinach and Mushroom Crepes and thought they would be perfect for our hunger pains. We were right!! We made some changes to the recipe...we adapted it to our tastes and really what we had in the fridge. We adde
d in some zucchini, used mozzarella and feta cheese, added fresh basil, etc.

The whole wh
eat crepes were perfect to roll up around our savory filling. I need to make these crepes more often. Maybe I will do a sweet version next time. They really were killer!

I also made a spinach salad with dried cranberries, oranges, an
d a raspberry vinigrette to go with too! We were eating good in the neighborhood...and in minutes! Thanks Kevin for the inspiration!









Spinach and Mushroom Whole Wheat Crepes

Adapted from Closet Cooking

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach

½ cup zucchini(chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 T balsamic vinegar
6 whole wheat crepes
Mozzarella and Feta cheese (use what you like)

Fresh Basil

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onion and saute until just starting to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
4. Add the mushrooms and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper and saute until they are soft.
5. Add the spinach and saute until it wilts.
6. Add in the balsamic vinegar.
7. Place some of the mushroom and spinach mixture into a crepe followed by some cheese and fresh basil.


Whole Wheat Crepes

Ingredients:
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter (melted)

Directions:
1. Mix everything in a large bowl.
2. Pour 1/4 of the mixture into a lightly buttered pan heated at medium. (Make sure you use a small saute or crepe pan)
3. Tilt the pan and turn so that the mixture evenly coats the entire bottom of the pan.
4. Cook the crepe until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
5. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.


Labels: , ,

37 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

What a great, healthy meal! And quick too.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Drooling here over all your creations I have missed since my last illness. Those crepes look very healthy and delicious.

Rosie x

6:19 AM  
Blogger Stacey Snacks said...

Maria,
I am always impressed that you feed your family such healthy meals and are creative about it.
Lovely crepes.
Can you imagine my mother feeding us crepes in the 1970's? I don't think so!
Stacey

6:29 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Wonderful! I concur- make a fast meal at home instead of fast food if you can do it! I have never made crepes! This looks great! Glad you enjoyed your din din!

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Those look sooo yummy! ANd the salad next to it looks awesome!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Those crepes look fabulous. I love crepes, but have had more sweet ones than savory. The salad really rounded this out into a healthy dinner. Looks perfect, Maria!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Live.Love.Eat said...

Fast huh? I guess with the 2 of you in the kitch it makes it go faster. I still lovbe that you cook together!!!! And these look incredible. When you have a moment please email me with an address if you can so I can respond. I have a question on something you and I have both made. Thanks.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh, these look amazing! I LOVE crepes and don't make them nearly often enough. In fact, every time I make them I think "I need to make these more." I've only done sweet/breakfast fillings though -- and now I am so eager to try them with savory, as you've done here. Yum!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

I always think of crepes as having sweet fillings. This is a whole new world for me. YUM!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Daziano said...

Nice twist on Kevin's recipe!

Are whole wheat crêpes as thin as the regular ones?

8:22 AM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

I have no patience either. Probably why my mouth is perpetually burnt! :)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I love crepes but have only made sweet ones. These look fantastic and easy to make - love that. The salad looks really tasty too.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Daziano- The whole wheat crepes are thin too, I really liked the texture and heartiness of the whole wheat. Plus it is good for you! Give them a try!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The crepes look really yummy! Really fast meals during the week are a lifesaver!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Deepthi Shankar said...

that looks amazing .. i love crepes .. yours looks perfect

9:47 AM  
Blogger Carmen Cooks said...

Yum, this look like such a healthy meal! I have never made crepes but might have to try this out for a simple meal sometime. :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger Thistlemoon said...

Delicious! I love savory crepe dishes (as well as the sweet)! Your filling is great!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Beth (jamandcream) said...

I made something similar a while back just with the addition of bacon. They were fantastic, these look so good

11:42 AM  
Blogger anudivya said...

Maria, I don't know if you have had "dosai" before. They are basically Indian crepes for breakfast made from different kinds of flour and may also be stuffed with potatoes, veggies, indian cheese etc.
This so reminds me of that. So good!

12:46 PM  
Blogger vanillasugarblog said...

doesn't kevin have the best recipes? I love getting inspired by him. well, my dear you did a fantastic job on these. I can see why these would satisfy, completely!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Those look really good! I will have to try them :)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yup, saw this at kevin's... but yours is just as yum... :)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Manggy said...

Kevin's great, isn't he? I just love savory crepes! :)

12:54 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

Yum! That looks wonderful! I've always wanted to make crepes....

3:32 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I've never had whole wheat crepes. Your look delicious. Love the spinach and mushrooms. I also visit Closet Cooking...have found good recipes there too!!!

4:06 AM  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

REALLY? Now how could this be anything but good?!?! We love Closet Cooking, now don't we?!?!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

5:13 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

This looks AMAZING, and seems nice and healthy, too!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

great crepes!!!!!! I've been looking for WW crepes for a while! So glad that you did it!

Can you store fresh in freezer or you make it every time?

7:00 AM  
Blogger grace said...

your crepes are beatiful! i've always heard that they're difficult to make, but you've done them perfectly. excellent work. :)

8:06 AM  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What lovely crepes! A wonderful meal! Healthy and tasty!

Cheers,

Rosa

8:06 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

I love savory crepes, and this one sounds delicious!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Usha said...

I love savory crepes and this one has all of my favorites...

12:55 PM  
Blogger Aggie said...

Oh, that looks great! I love healthy meals like that!

1:33 PM  
Blogger test it comm said...

Those crepes look good! I like the addition of the zucchini as it makes it a bit heartier and healthier.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I am OBSESSED with crepes! Unfortunately I tend to fill mine with things like Nutella and strawberries and cream, but yours sound much healthier. :) I should give savory dinner crepes a go.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Delicious!! And SO much better than the drive through!

3:23 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Yum! Looks so good and healthy to boot!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home