Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Pizza Roll Ups

Friday, November 14, 2008

Pizza Roll Ups



Josh loves pizza and is pretty good at making it. So when he volunteered to whip up some homemade pizza dough, I got out of the way!

Instead of making the typical pizza, we tried a "Pizza Roll Up", inspired by Giada's new book.
We rolled out the dough like a normal pizza and put the toppings on.This time we went with fresh spinach, mushrooms, roasted peppers (we used the ones we had in our freezer from the summer), red onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella cheese! Then Josh rolled it up, really tight. We brushed the pizza roll with olive oil and an egg wash so it would brown nice and even. It only took 25 minutes to bake. Once it cooled, we cut it into thick slices.

The crust was perfect and the fillings tasted fantastic!! The slices were oozing with cheesy goodness! We can't wait to try these again with different fillings and flavors. I think these would be fun to serve at a party or get together!! You can make the dough the day before and put it in the fridge. This dough also freezes well too and the recipe makes enough for two big pizza roll ups!












Pizza Roll Up

Dough:

1 package of dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
Pinch of sugar

1 1/4 tsp. salt

3 1/2 cups flour
1 T olive oil

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup coarsely chopped baby spinach

1 cup sliced mushrooms

Roasted peppers

Chopped red onion

Fresh basil

1 tblsp olive oil

Salt & Pepper

1 egg-for the egg wash


1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water, sprinkle with pinch of sugar. Let stand for five minutes.
2. Combine flour and salt in large mixing bowl. (We do this in our Kitchenaid.) Pour half of the yeast water into your bowl and add in olive oil. Mix briefly. Add the rest of the yeast mixture. Mix until combined and switch to your dough hook. Let the machine knead the dough for about 10 minutes. Take the dough ball out and make sure it is smooth and not sticky!

3. Place the dough in an oiled bowl. Turn it over to oil both sides. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth/towel. Let rise for about 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

4. Divide the dough in half. You can freeze one if you want.
5. Roll our the dough on a lightly floured surface.
It should be a 12-14 inch circle, about ΒΌ inch thick.
6.
Sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella over the dough. Arrange the spinach over the cheese in a single layer. Sprinkle with the mushrooms, peppers, onions, basil, and then top with the remaining cheese.
7. Roll the dough into a thin cylinder, gently tucking in the ends. Brush the entire roll with the olive oil & season with the salt & pepper. We also brushed it with an egg wash to help the browning process.

8. Place the dough, seam-side down, on the baking sheet & bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.

9. Cool the roll for 5 minutes, then use a serrated knife to cut it into 3/4-inch slices.

Labels: ,

47 Comments:

Blogger Cristine said...

That looks so good!!! Now you've got me craving pizza! :)

6:13 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

That looks fabulous....just like it is from an Italian restaurant!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

That does look really good. What a fun idea. I was going to make calzones, but I might have to try this instead!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

What a tasty meal...I've never thought of rolling a pizza before.

I tried your cinnamon syrup on pumpkin pancakes this weekend and it was FANTASTIC! Thank you!.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

...gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily your pizza roll's a dream.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Beth (jamandcream) said...

This is serious comfort food.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Wow, this looks delicious. Wouldn't this be fun for a party? Everybody would love it!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

My mom does something like this and cuts it up for party appetizers. She even bends one to look like a candy cane for christmas time. Now if only I can remember to be creative like this instead of making a regular pizza!

8:11 AM  
Blogger alexandra's kitchen said...

Oh yum! That looks ridiculously good. I wonder if you could freeze the whole roll up too? maybe before you bake it? I don't know, but i do know that I want a bite of that now. right now!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

What a fantastic idea! I have been meaning to go get the new Giada book as well...

8:45 AM  
Blogger The Caked Crusader said...

Yum! I like the idea of having it rolled up like that - I could eat more and quicker!!!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Kelley Flint said...

Looks delicious. May have to try that out tonight.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Jersey Girl Cooks said...

These look great! in jersey we call them stombolis or bolis for short:)

12:08 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

What a great idea! This looks delicious!What are you guys up to this weekend?

2:08 PM  
Blogger Stacey Snacks said...

Maria,
Where we live in the east, these are known as calzones, but Giada is the queen, so I guess she can call them "roll ups"!
Calzones are on my list to make this week! You can make small ones and freeze for lunches!
Stacey

2:49 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

Oh, I'd love to try this! Should have done this for Daring Bakers last month. Great idea.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh yum, that looks so good!! Thanks for sharing that, i will definitely be trying it :)

4:00 PM  
Blogger Manggy said...

Hee, I love how pizza dough-making is the man's job at home ;) I guess you shouldn't ever attempt making it, you might break his heart if you do it better! Looks delicious, I love the filling!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Oh how I love ooozing cheese, yes i'm making this.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that's so creative and brilliant... perfect for kids because it's so mess-proof... :)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Daziano said...

Wow, you're mastering the trattoria techniques! Gues you're loving Giada's new book too!

6:21 AM  
Blogger grace said...

i'm pretty sure this is superior to a pizza pie in every way. :)

7:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ooh, yum yum!!

7:45 AM  
Blogger NKP said...

Looks fantastic!
My family would love this (I have 3 teenagers)
I have this book, will have to look this up!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Lori Lynn said...

Hey, that really is a terrific idea. Gonna try it.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

mmmmmmmmmmm.......... amazing roll!!!! Love the mix of veggies and cheese!

1:17 PM  
Blogger priscilla joy said...

that pizza looks amazing...i'd love to try it!

3:03 PM  
Blogger test it comm said...

I like the sound of a rolled up pizza.

3:45 PM  
Blogger La Bella Cooks said...

I have been enjoying Giada's new book myself and am glad you have been trying some of her stuff as well. Who could resist a pizza roll that looks this delicious!

10:53 PM  
Blogger vanillasugarblog said...

Oh that does look so good. My hubby loves my pepperoni bread. I doubt he would eat this one with all the veggies, but the heck with him I would eat this and freeze the rest.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

How cool! It's like a calzone to share!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Veron said...

That is a great idea to roll up the pizza. It looks delicious!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I love the look of these. I am totally craving a calzone now. I will be making this soon! Thanks for posting it!!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I really love pizza, it's like a good friend of mine... but a rolled up pizza is even better. The crusty goodness looks amazing :)

6:19 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I just got Giada's new book from the library, but I've had barely any time to thumb through it yet. This one sort of reminds me of the Stromboli we get at our local pizza place. YUM!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

yum! this looks great!! what a handy husband :)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Apples and Butter said...

I love the idea of rolling up the pizza. It's like a stromboli and it looks delicious!

10:14 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

That's really cool! It's like a calzone and pizza in one!

3:28 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

How neat! I've never done this and it looks fun. Thanks for the great idea!

4:31 AM  
Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your pizza roll up looks good. Who could resisit pizza in any form?

4:43 AM  
Blogger Live.Love.Eat said...

LOVE the look of this. And I think I know which Giada recipe this was inspired from. I have been yearning for her prosciutto spinach roll again. This really does look like what I want for lunch right NOW! Awesome.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I just ate breakfast, but this is making me hungry again!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GAH! WHAT A GREAT IDEA! It's totally mouthwatering!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Brilynn said...

I looove homemade pizza and usually make it about once a week. I'll have to try rolling it up next time!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

what a neat idea! thanks for the inspiration, I am making it soon!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

I have my own go-to pizza dough recipe...I might try doing this with it one night. It sure looks yummy!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Katerina said...

Thats a really really cool idea!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home