Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Recipe for Spinach Cheese Ravioli

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Recipe for Spinach Cheese Ravioli



The other night we invited our good friend, Ben, over for a ravioli lesson. Ben lived with Josh while we were dating and shares our passion for good food. Ben recently expressed interest in making homemade pasta...so we set a date for ravioli night. We love an excuse to cook up a storm!

Josh made the dough while I worked on the spinach and cheese filli
ng and the sauce. Ben helped us roll out the dough, cut, and fill the little raviolis. Ben was a natural:) We all had a great time in the kitchen...and of course we enjoyed eating it too! Homemade pasta is the best...especially when you stuff it with a delicious filling!! And just a note, we posted ravioli on our blog before,both recipes are good, but we like this recipe best...so give this one a try if you are going to make it!

Thanks for coming over Ben, we need to cook together more often!! And to all the single ladies out there, Ben is still a bachelor! He is a stud to say the least and trust me, you want a man who can cook...It is SOOO nice and Ben certainly knows his way around the kitchen..ha!! Ok, we had to give him a plug:, he is the best:)





















Fresh Egg Pasta

4 large eggs
1 T water
3 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt


1. Place eggs, water, flour, and salt in mixer bowl. (we use our Kitchenaid) Attach bowl and flat beater. Turn to Speed 2 and mix for 30 seconds.
2. Now use the dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and knead for two minutes. Remove dough from bowl and hand knead for 1-2 minutes. Let it rest for 20 minutes. Divide the dough into four pieces before processing with the pasta roller.
3. Roll out pasta according to your pasta maker’s instructions. We have the Kitchenaid attachment and it works wonders!!


Spinach and Cheese Ravioli

1 bunch of fresh spinach-wash and remove stems
(about 1 pound) or use frozen chopped spinach (10 oz.)
½ medium onion, minced

1 T olive oil
¾ cup ricotta cheese

3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 large egg yolk

Salt and pepper

1. Place damp spinach leaves in a large skillet over medium heat. Cover with a lid and let the leaves wilt. Once wilted let cool and then chop.
Heat 1 T of olive oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium heat, until translucent. Stir in the spinach and salt to taste. Cook for about one minute.

2. Transfer the spinach mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in ricotta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, mozzarella, and the egg yolk. Mix well and set aside. The filling can be refrigerated overnight.
3. Lay out your long sheets of pasta on a lightly floured table. Place small balls of filling, about 1 teaspoon, in a line about one inch from the bottom of the pasta sheet. Leave about 1 1/4 inches between each ball of filling. Fold over the top of the pasta sheet, lining it with the bottom edge. Seal the bottom and 2 open sides with your finger. Use a ravioli cutter to cut out the individual raviolis. Place the ravioli on a large plate.

4. Boil a huge pot of water with salt. Add in the ravioli and cook for about 5-6 minutes. Strain and serve with the sauce of your choice. We used a homemade marinara sauce with lots of garlic. It was quite tasty!

Labels: ,

41 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your ravioli looks so good. Now, that's comfort food! It looks like ya'll have a wonderful time together, great friends make wonderful memories.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Your ravioli looks great! I've only attempted homemade ravioli once, I got really frustrated because I couldn't get all the air pockets out when filling them.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Fresh pasta - good for you! I am still too scared to try it - haha - but this looks delicious of course!

7:38 AM  
Blogger kat said...

What a fun night

7:49 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

I want to get the pasta attachment for my big mixer! I think once we move into the house, that will be one of my first purchases! Fresh pasta is so much yummier than the stuff in the box! You guys are amazing! I love so much that you cook together and really enjoy it!

7:55 AM  
Blogger ChrisBCrazy said...

that food looks amazing! you are so cute! how's life?

8:11 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

It cracks me up that you made this ravioli on the dining room table. It looks FANTASTIC! What a fun evening spent with your buddy.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Looks delicious! I love all the pictures!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Yum, I love homemade pasta...yours looks delicious. And too bad we don't live near you...my sister needs a boyfriend! Ha!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

You make that ravioli look so easy! I will definitely be trying it, thanks for the great recipe! Tell Ben to move to Canada, we need more great food-loving guys like him around here (well at least I do! :) )

8:28 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

Sounds wonderful! Great way to get friends involved and everyone learns something new.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

Looks like it took over your whole table! The best recipes are usually the messiest!!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

This looks so great. I am wondering though- I don't have a pasta attachment, so do you just roll out the pasta really thin or is there another way to make it the right thickness? I would really like to try this, but wonder if it would turn out right without the pasta roller attachment.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Audrey said...

These must be so good! I have always wanted to try to make homemade ravioli (homemade pasta in general)...and my sister-in-law has a wonderful memory of the spinach ravioli her Italian grandfather used to make at Christmas...maybe she and I can team up to recreate her memories!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

This looks soooooo perfect!

10:00 AM  
Blogger CookiePie said...

WOW - ravioli from scratch - that is soooo impressive! And it looks fabulous!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Cristine said...

YUM! Bookmarking this recipe! :)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

they look so good... i never made pasta fresh before, your recipe is definitely a keeper for me... :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger Vera said...

They look delicious, Maria! Isn't a pasta roller a wonderful toy!

11:18 AM  
Blogger vanillasugarblog said...

I loved that you used the dining room table for a work area. That's what I have to do sinc emy kitchen is soooo small.
That's a lot of ravioli!!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

aaaah, fabulous :) need to try my own pasta!!

12:12 PM  
Blogger DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Fabulous! I can almost taste it. I will be making this!!!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Beth (jamandcream) said...

I've never made revioli before. I love eating it though so not sure why I haven't attempted it. Looks fantastic

1:33 PM  
Blogger How To Eat A Cupcake said...

It's really weird that whenever I see yummy food on people's blogs I think to myself, "My boyfriend would love that!" Hahaha looks delicious!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Such talent here and your ravioli looks sooo good!

Rosie x

2:38 PM  
Blogger jesse said...

Ohhhh, this looks perfect, from start to finish of course! I am seething with envy! And drool!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Maria..
The pasta looks delish.I have always wanted to make homemade pasta, but for some reason have been scared to!
And Congrats on being asked to be on TV..thats awesome!
A few tips you ask???...XANAX!!!
LOL
Noo just kidding.
Are you cooking or just talking?
Is there a host going to be in the kitchen with you, if there is It is good to get the host involved in what you are doing, but also engage the viewers as well.
My segments are usually 4 minutes long. So I really have to practice ,practice,practice at home to figure out how I get "cook" in just 4 minutes.
If you want..just email me if you have more specific questions!!!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I'm super impressed with your homemade pasta. They came out perfect, and look so light and soft. Awesome job. And you even snuck in some good old Popeye spinach in there :)

5:13 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Wow! I've never made my own pasta. Looks so fun AND delicious! The sauce looks great and love the spinach filling. Just yum!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

The ravioli looks good - I love the pasta factory you've got going on the dining room table - classic!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

6:21 PM  
Blogger Cakelaw said...

I have always been afraid of making my own pasta - but this sure looks good.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

mmm, that ravioli looks delicious :) it looks like you had fun!!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Homemade ravioli are the best.

8:41 PM  
Blogger grace said...

looks like the group effort paid off--i'm super impressed. perhaps you should start charging for pasta-making lessons. :)

1:40 AM  
Blogger Clumbsy Cookie said...

Making ravioli is so much fun, specially with friends! And it turned out delicious looking too!

1:53 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

This look so hard but so good! I'd love to try it but am terrified I'd screw it up!

2:58 AM  
Blogger alexandra's kitchen said...

Oh my gosh. What fun! It's so great to see that whole table totally occupied with fresh pasta. The ravioli look absolutely delectable!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yummy! I love fresh ravioli, although I've only made it myself a few times. I'll give this recipe a try!

6:00 AM  
Blogger Lucy..♥ said...

Homemade rav's are the best ever!! and these look so very good!!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

My husband keeps begging me to try to make homemade pasta - yours looks so perfect! I have to admit I'm a bit intimidated!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Helene said...

The ravioli are perfect!! Well done!! And...ugh...both you hubby and Ben are hotties.... :)

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home