Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Caramel Sauce

Monday, November 24, 2008

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Caramel Sauce



I can't believe it is Thanksgiving week! Time is truly flying! I hope everyone is ready for the big day!! The countdown is on!!

If you are still looking for the perfect ice cr
eam to go with all of your homemade pies, look no further! This vanilla bean ice cream is divine. The recipe comes from David's book, The Perfect Scoop...so you know it is going to be good. David is the king of ice cream, in my opinion.

Using a real vanilla bean is the key here. You steep the bean/seeds for thirty minutes with the custard, which really brings out a nice vanilla flavor.
You also add in some vanilla extract too! The vanilla flavor is strong, and you know you are eating the good stuff when you can see the black specks in your ice cream.

For fun, we made Dorie's caramel sauce to drizzle on top! Talk about a great dessert! The caramel sauce was easy to make...just keep a close eye on it so you don't burn it:) It will keep in the fridge for awhile too...so use it up on other desserts or drink it if you are really craving sugar:) It is that good!!!


So hurry up and make some ice cream this week...your pies will taste even better:)











Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
from the Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
6 large egg yolks
3/4 tsp vanilla extract

Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup of cream, and salt in medium saucepan. Scrape seeds from the vanilla bean into the warm milk and add the bean as well. Cover and remove from the heat. Let steep at room temperature for 30 minutes. Pour the remaining cup of cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs yolks. Slowly pour the warm cream mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly. Scrape the mixture back into the saucepan and stir it constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula until mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour custard through strainer and stir it into the cream. Put the vanilla bean into the custard, add the vanilla extract, and stir until cool over an ice bath. Chill the mixture completely in the refrigerator. When ready to churn, remove the vanilla bean (rinse it and reserve it for another use) then freeze the mixture according to the ice cream maker’s instructions.

Dorie’s Caramel Sauce

1 cup sugar
3 T water
1 T light corn syrup
¾ cup heavy cream
1 T unsalted butter

Put the sugar, water, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Heat over medium heat without stirring, until the caramel turns a deep amber color, 5-10 minutes…it took ours ten! It will turn fast, so keep watching it!

Lower the heat, stand back from the saucepan and add the cream and butter. Stir to smooth and calm down the caramel. Remove the pan from the heat.

Pour the caramel into a heatproof jar and cool until it is slightly warm-for about an hour.

The sauce will keep in the fridge for about a week. Just reheat in the microwave. This is great over ice cream, cakes, tarts, etc!!

Labels: , ,

35 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

I wish you were coming to my Thanksgiving dinner and bringing this! mmm. I bet this would be seriously terrific on a pie!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

mmmm.....love vanilla ice cream! Unfortunately I don't have ice cream maker... shame on me~

Enjoy your thanksgiving!

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now THAT looks delicious!!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Live.Love.Eat said...

Vanilla is my fav. So, we need an ice cream maker for this?

8:21 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Vanilla is my very favorite ice cream flavor. I LOVE caramel sauce - what a treat!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

I'm so jealous it looks perfect. I wish I had time to make this now!

8:59 AM  
Blogger The Caked Crusader said...

That looks about as perfect a combination as can be achieved with ice cream and sauce! Yum

9:05 AM  
Blogger Cristine said...

Looks delicious! I love homemade ice cream!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Finla said...

Here it is cold but still i would love to have that bowl and that sauc is just superb.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Perfect with apple pie.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

umm, guess what's on my xmas list this year??? hehe :)

have a great thanksgiving!!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Beth (jamandcream) said...

You can't beat a good vanilla ice cream, especially when it comes with caramel sauce

11:24 AM  
Blogger Veron said...

There's nothing like real vanilla beans. I bet that is one delicious tasting ice cream!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

I've been looking for an excuse to bust out my ice cream maker. Now that it's so cold I haven't exactly been in the mood. But the warm caramel sauce makes it perfect!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Yuuuuuuum!

12:08 PM  
Blogger alexandra's kitchen said...

Oh wow. Another reason to buy this book! And what a great idea with the caramel sauce. I was thinking about making pumpkin ice cream, but this looks more tempting. Pies will indeed be all the more tasty!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Natalie Que said...

I loves my v beans!

Okay, how did I never catch on that you are a vegetarian?? Yes, the soup would totally work and be GREAT with veg stock and sans chicken. It has so much flavor and the beans will add protein so you're covered. Let me know if you go for it!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I have hinted to Santa about an ice cream maker. There are so many different types and flavors I want to try. Your vanilla bean with the carmel sauce look perfect.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Yes, you do need an ice cream maker for this recipe! Sorry if you don't have one...I guess now you have a reason to go shopping:)

3:19 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Wow- what a stunning dessert. I have been craving homemade ice cream and I just got a bunch of vanilla beans from Costco. I love a great tasting basic vanilla bean ice cream. Super yummy!

4:53 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so impressed! I can't believe you made your own ice cream! It would be perfect on pecan pie!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Vanilla bean ice cream is SO yummy! This looks delicious!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

It's never too cold for ice cream with caramel sauce...especially with a mug of HOT tea next to it! I borrowed this book from the library in the summer and now it's on my wish list for Christmas. I hope Santa is paying attention!

7:07 PM  
Blogger NKP said...

That looks amazing! And I have David's book, and even have some of Dorie's caramel in the fridge...

9:19 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Oh wow! This looks better than pie for dessert! I love homemade ice cream! This recipe especially looks good . . . and homemade caramel sauce! I could float away eating this!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Manggy said...

Yow! I might even skip the pie and stuff and just go for this lovely pairing! :)

9:49 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I'd be all over this. Sounds like a great dessert!

10:49 PM  
Blogger The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

That caramel sauce looks like it's to die for. I love homemade caramel sauce. It's so simple to make that I don't know why more people don't try it.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

That caramel sauce could pretty much kill people and cause hunger at the same time :) Perfect as a topping on any pie, you guys rock!

Happy Thanksgiving!

4:52 AM  
Blogger grace said...

i eat this combo quite a bit, although it's never homemade. neither component. go ahead and say it--i'm a lazy bum. :)

5:10 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

How very beautiful. I especially appreciate the recipe for caramel sauce.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Oh gosh you have me drooling all over my keyboard... This is pure heaven in a bowl :)

Rosie x

2:39 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Goodness, you do it all. Ice cream and caramel. Your caramel looks divine and perfect!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Cakelaw said...

Swoon - I am lovin' that caramel sauce!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I haven't made homemade ice cream in much too long. This looks like a great place to start again!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home