Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Recipe for Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Recipe for Chocolate Crinkle Cookies



In my opinion, you can't fully experience the holidays unless you eat at least one chocolate crinkle cookie:) I tend to indulge in more than just one because I love these cookies! They are the perfect holiday cookie!

Crinkles are easy to make, the batch makes a ton...so they are perfect for gift giving, and they gorgeous! I love how the balls of chocolate are rolled in powdered sugar. When they melt in the oven, the cookies crackle with the perfect snow affect. They remind me of a winter wonderland!

It is important to take these cookies out of the oven on time...I only bake mine for 10 minutes and not a second longer. You want them soft for that nice, brownie texture.







Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Yields: 51 cookies

Adapted from Essence of Chocolate: Recipes for Baking and Cooking with Fine Chocolate

· 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 cup canola oil
· 4 ounces 99% unsweetened chocolate, melted
· 2 cups granulated sugar
· 4 large eggs
· 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
· 1 cup confectioners' sugar


Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the oil, chocolate and granulated sugar and blend on medium speed. With the mixer running, add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. There may be some small clumps of sugar in the batter at this point. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed, stopping once to scrape down the sides. Mix until just incorporated, 2 to 3 minutes. The dough will be sticky.

Gather the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Position the racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.

Pour the confectioners' sugar onto a plate or into a shallow bowl. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls, drop onto the sugar and roll each ball so that all sides are covered. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared sheets.

Bake for 10 minutes for soft, chewy cookies, or 12 minutes for crisp cookies, rotating the pans halfway through baking. The cookies are done when the edges are set (but the tops still have a little give to them). Let cool completely on cooling racks. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.

Labels: ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

ow my! You guys are baking up so many great cookies!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

ohhhhh.... you keep creating goodies!!! How can I catch up with you????

and you're right, it can't be a perfect holiday without chocolate cookies!!!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Another great recipe I'm going to have to try!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Jersey Girl Cooks said...

These are a great joliday cookie. I love the ice cream. It is my daughters birthday on the 23rd and she loves mint ice cream. I might make soime for her.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

Ooh, those sound yummy!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Your picture of the cookies looks so pretty!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Thank you! I need a batch of something that makes a ton! I feel like I bake every night these days and yet still can't seem to fill up the gift bags enough. I am going to make these tonight!!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

What beautiful cookies! And 50+ of them - even better!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Cristine said...

Can you believe I've never had a crinkle cookie before? I'll have to give these a try!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Live.Love.Eat said...

I've never had one either. GASP!!! Looks awesome!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

What beautiful cookies, Maria. Chocolate crinkles are one of my favorites.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I was just thinking of making this cookie about a week or two ago and I noticed my recipe called for a cake mix and I didn't want to go that route! So I'm glad to come across your recipe!

8:04 AM  
Blogger vanillasugarblog said...

well after reading what others are saying I won't feel so bad...I have never had one or made one either. I know I know.
But I honestly had no idea they tasted like a brownie. I always thought, for years, that they tasted like a meringue. Now that I know I must make them.

8:25 AM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

i love these cookies too! I've made Martha's version but I want to try yours too! Yummy!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I've never made these but I love them. We are snowed in today - a perfect time to bake cookies.

10:16 AM  
Blogger anudivya said...

I have been wanting to make these... looks so pretty right?

10:22 AM  
Blogger Audrey said...

these are one of my favorite cookies any time of year...I'm going through serious baking withdrawal! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and new year!

11:02 AM  
Blogger CookiePie said...

YUM - those cookies look fabulous!! I love how "snowy" they are :)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

I'm w/erica - you guys just keep the cookie madness coming. They look great!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I love love love crinkle cookies!!! yours look delish!

2:39 PM  
Blogger La Bella Cooks said...

I always find these cookies interesting looking! This is a great recipe and festive for the holiday.

2:47 PM  
Blogger LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I'll take a dozen of those, please!! :-)

3:56 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

It's like little chocolate glaciers!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

those look perfect! i don't think they ever made it to mom's trays... but maybe they'll be a new addition this year :)

8:16 PM  
Blogger Manggy said...

So true. These are one of my favorite cookies, evah!!!

12:31 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Oh those cookies look so good!

4:02 AM  
Blogger grace said...

seriously, anyone who can eat only one of these cookies is some sort of alien. :)

4:52 AM  
Blogger Peter M said...

These crinkle cookies are the style of the season/year and I love the contrast.

Trade ya bunny for a bunch?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Usha said...

These cookies look so wonderful, perfect for the holiday season :-)

12:14 PM  
Blogger The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I recently made a batch of these myself. They are wonderful cookies! I love the texture of them.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

This is too weird, I just made chocolate crinkle dough tonight to bake off this weekend! I heard a piece on NPR this week about making them, and the chef said she rolls hers in granulated sugar first, and then powdered sugar. The granulated layer prevents the powdered sugar from soaking into the dough and keeps it bright white.

I'm loving all your holiday cookie posts!

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home