Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Oven Berry Pancakes

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oven Berry Pancakes



I finally got my hands on Ina Garten's new book: Barefoot Contessa, Back to Basics. So far I am loving it. We haven't had time to try a lot of the recipes, but I can just tell this one is a winner! I have already made a list of recipes to try and it is almost the entire book:)

We did make her Oven Berry Pancakes and they were fantastic! I love that these are individual pancakes. You make them in four, 6 to 7 inch, gratin dishes. We had all of the ingredients on hand, which I also loved. You can make these whenever you are in the mood for something special in the morning.

Ina uses orange zest in the pancakes, but we opted for lemon. I am sure both are tasty. The pancakes puff in the oven, which is my favorite part. They are so fun! We filled the pancakes with berries, but you could use any fruit or do the traditional syrup thing.

This is the perfect breakfast for company. You don't have to stand over the griddle flipping hot cakes, you just put them in the oven and relax! They only take about 15 minutes to bake. Plus, everyone gets their own! I am sure your guests would feel extra special if they woke up to these pancakes!





Berry Oven Pancakes

Adapted from Ina Garten

1 cup of EACH raspberries, blueberries, blackberries (you can use strawberries too)
1 T sugar
2 T melted butter, plus 4 teaspoons for the dishes
3 eggs
½ cup milk (we used skim)
½ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (Ina uses orange)
¼ teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar for garnish (and syrup if you wish)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine berries and sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Place 4 (6 to 7 inch) individual gratin dishes on a baking sheet. Place 1 tsp. of butter in each gratin dish and set aside.

Place the eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whish attachment and beat on medium speed until combined. Add the milk and mix. Slowly add the flour, vanilla, lemon zest, 2 T of melted butter, and the salt and mix just until smooth. Whisk by hand if the batter is still lumpy.

Place the gratin dishes in the oven for three minutes, until the butter is hot and bubbly. Make sure the butter covers the bottom of each dish. Divide the batter equally among the four dishes and bake 12-14 minutes, until puffed and lightly browned. Divide the berries among the dishes and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Add syrup if you wish. Serve hot!

Labels: ,

39 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Owww! These look beautiful! I think the last time I made oven pancakes was in cooking class in middle school! I had completely forgotten about them and how good they are!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

I love berries and pancakes! I may have to go buy some dishes and make these!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Jersey Girl Cooks said...

These look great! It is funny because i just got the Ina cookbook and was looking at this recipe last night.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I was just flipping through my copy of this book last night. I have tried a couple things out of it and they are so yummy. This one looks perfect for a weekend breakfast!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

Great idea for company breakfasts. These look really tasty.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Finla said...

Wow the do look so beautiful and delcious.
I am not going to look to the book in ameon, lately i bought tree books after reading great reviews from bloggers and indeed they were good buy, and i loved all three of themm.
I will just wait a bit for buying again books :-(

6:39 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

I love it, I'm so using this when I have a house full of family at Christmas!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Definitely a winner! I have never made these. I might just have to give it a try!

6:50 AM  
Blogger anudivya said...

Cool! I have seen these on Food Network, but yet to try them. The oven version seems so unique. Looks lovely.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

What a revelation - pancakes that bake in the oven!! I love just the thought of it!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Live.Love.Eat said...

Awesome. I love it. Getting added to my list!!!!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Cheeky Kitchen said...

Oh.For.The.Love.Of.Pete.

I have to have these. I've never thought of making little personal versions of puffed pancakes. Wouldn't that be divine for Christmas morning?!

I'm going crazy here with the ideas!

Thanks so much for posting! ANd thanks for stopping by my site today! So nice of you!

(Have I used enough exclamation points in this comment? Yikes.)

7:32 AM  
Blogger Kathy Seed said...

Maria - oh yum! Guess what Bob & I are having this weekend -- oooohhh, I can't wait, yummmmmmm!!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Now these look delicious. I have the same book (checked out from the library) and have been eyeing that recipe. Great job!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

yuppp.. those look DELISH! is that one big pancake? gotta try it.

8:55 AM  
Blogger The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I've made this type of pancake before and I LOVE them. I think it's better than regular pancakes because it's not as heavy. I usually have this with sauteed apples, but nice warm berries sounds really good too.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh, I just bought this book yesterday (but I'm not supposed to buy stuff for myself this close to Christmas, so please don't tell my hubby!) I have never even heard of oven pancakes before -- what a great idea! These sound wonderful, and since I know they have your seal of approval, this may be one of the first recipes I try from the book!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Maria - I left you an award on my blog.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Wow, those look amazing! Simply delicious!!

10:43 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

This looks like something out of a fancy restaurant! Wow!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Lori Lynn said...

Oh how lovely! The individual pancakes cooked in gratin dish is fabulous, the shape is so unique!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I just bought this cookbook and was looking at this recipe but not sure about it so I am glad you reviewed it!

11:20 AM  
Blogger NKP said...

First - congrats on your new book! You won't be sorry, all her recipes are great.
Second - what a great dish! I am making this one very soon.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*drool* these look gosh darn perfect :)

2:16 PM  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I've never made that kind of pancakes, but they sure look good! I love the idea!

Cheers,

Rosa

3:05 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

These look so good...I'll have to put that book on my Christmas wish list!

3:21 PM  
Blogger susan said...

Mmmm, they look beautiful! too beautiful to eat ;]

5:23 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

These are beautiful! This would absolutely make a special breakfast!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Calamity Cookie said...

mmmm, they look really tasty. I'll be looking that book up.

6:28 PM  
Blogger CookiePie said...

Beautiful!! What a lovely way to wake up :)

7:39 PM  
Blogger Manggy said...

Filled pancakes! Has there ever been a more beautiful breakfast? :) And where did you get those berries at this time of the year?! I miss 'em already!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

They look so delicious. You can't go wrong with Ina!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

yum!!!! i love fruit/berry anything... this looks fab :) i could eat it for dinner :)

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooooh! i LOVE berry pancakes! What a great twist!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said...

I think this is the recipe my MIL made this past summer at a family get-together. She's a devoted Barefoot fan. It was delicious, just as yours was I'm sure.

5:44 AM  
Blogger grace said...

pretty much anything that puffs up is exciting to me, including pitas and puffer fish. :)
these are great, especially with the addition of those berries. :)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is just great... a perfect treat... :)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Maris said...

These sound delicious! I've been all about pancakes for breakfast lately; I actually made gingerbread pancakes last week and they were amazing!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love the pancakes. I've never had the berry topping. I'd totally love it, but the rest of the family aren't as big of berry fans as I am.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home