Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Black Bean Soup and Spicy Corn Muffins

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Black Bean Soup and Spicy Corn Muffins

Today is your lucky day. I am posting our Black Bean Soup and Corn Muffin recipe that we made for our dinner party on Sunday. Both were a hit!

I love making this Black Bean Soup. It is so easy and healthy! It has lots of veggies and fiber. You can throw it together in no time and the leftovers are great. I think it even tastes better the next day. We usually eat it all, but you can freeze it too! It is pretty cheap to make, stock up on the canned items when they are on sale!

We also made Dorie's Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins. We have made the Corniest Corn muffins before and loved them, but this time we were in a spicy mood:) The jalapeno, red pepper, chili powder, and cilantro give these muffins quite the kick! They have the perfect amount of heat and they are pretty, I like the specks of green and red:) They go perfectly with this soup too! We did muffins and we also did an 8 by 8 Pyrex pan. Both ways work well. Let them cool before serving. We ate one right out of the oven and it was a little crumbly, but they will set up. Just be patient!



Maria’s Black Bean Soup

Olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
Crushed red pepper-to taste
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 ears of fresh corn, cut off the cob (can use frozen or canned)
3 cans diced tomatoes (I use reduced sodium)
2 cans of black beans (I use reduced sodium)
2 cans of chicken or vegetable broth (fat free, low sodium)
2 cups of water
Chili Powder-to taste
Cumin-to taste
Salt-to taste
Pepper-to taste
Chopped cilantro (about a half of a bunch)
Juice of 1-2 limes

Heat oil in a big soup pot. Cook onion until tender. Add in garlic, crushed red pepper, and jalapeno. Cook for about a minute. Add in peppers and corn. Saute until tender. Add in tomatoes, black beans, broth, and water. Stir. Add in your spices. I never measure these. Sorry! So just add in according to taste! Stir and throw in chopped cilantro. Squirt in lime juice and stir. Let simmer to enhance flavors. Taste after awhile to see if more spices need to be added. It is that simple!! You can serve it with cheese, sour cream, chips, etc. but I like to keep this one healthy! The flavors are so good alone.



Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins

Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking from my Home to Yours

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal - stone ground is best
3 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup buttermilk
8 T unsalted butter - melted and cooled
1 large egg
1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels- We used fresh!
1 small jalapeno - seeded if you wish
1/4 red bell pepper finely diced
2 T cilantro - finely chopped-we added a little more!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with liners or spray well.
Whisk together all purpose flour , cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, chili powder, baking soda and black pepper and set aside.

In another large bowl lightly whisk egg yolk, buttermilk and melted butter till blended. Pour liquid into the dry ingredients. Add chopped cilantro, jalapeno and diced bell pepper to the mixture. Divide batter into muffin pans lined with paper muffin cups. I also used a 8 inch Pyrex dish and it worked great! Just spray it well!

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the tops are brown. Cool muffins on a rack before serving.



Labels: , , , ,

27 Comments:

Blogger priscilla joy said...

that looks like such a yummy fall meal!

6:15 AM  
Blogger RecipeGirl said...

Bookmarked! I love a good, healthy soup. If we can rid ourselves of this hot weather sometime soon, I'm going to start making soups.

Good soup to use in place of chili on Game Day too!

6:39 AM  
Blogger The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I LOVE black bean soup. It's the perfect winter lunch to tote along to work. Thanks for the inspiration.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Live.Love.Eat said...

Yippie Yahooie. Another one to add to my sidebar list of morsels to make. I am going to make these two together!!!!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I love black bean soup too, and this recipe looks great. This is the perfect time to start making soup! I haven't tried Dorie's corn muffins yet, but I know they will be delicious!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds like a great meal for fall!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Rambler said...

Omg that looks delicious and warm(sinc emy office is freezing! I love corn muffins and those are gorgeous!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I have to admit - I'm mostly looking forward to cold weather so that I can make lots of soup!! This one sounds delicious! And I'm way into spicy right now, so I really want these muffins!

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that looks so good! Can't wait to try!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Yum! How perfect on a crisp fall afternoon. Those balsamic roasted veggies in your previous post look so good! Can I meet and attend dinner parties with you and your friends?? :D

Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh my word - I could not bookmark your blog fast enough! The soup and muffins look wonderful . . . as does the balsamic roasted veggies . . . the tomator and cucumber salad . . . the orange rolls . . . the peach pie! I believe that I am going to become one of your regulars!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Starred! I was hoping you'd share these recipes. Thanks!

11:53 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

I love black beans. I used to eat them a lot in college. I was happy. Ben was not.

12:19 PM  
Blogger vanillasugarblog said...

Black beans are so good for you too.
I love love love corn muffins with a bit of kick to them.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Beth (jamandcream) said...

Great those corn muffins look so good, now I can recreate :0)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely meal. Thanks for sharing.

3:25 PM  
Blogger La Bella Cooks said...

A perfect fall meal. The black bean soup looks fantastic!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

This is going on the Fall menu. Food like this could fuel superheroes and help fight evil and empty sad stomachs :)

I dream of corn muffins

5:49 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Black bean soup is one of my standards, because it's so filling and so easy! And of course, it's awesome with corn bread. I'm going to have try your recipe next time I have a craving.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Great sounding recipes! Love soup for dinner, I think I'd eat this up in no time!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Usha said...

Both of these look awesome.....bookmarked,am going to make this very soon :)

6:47 PM  
Blogger Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Great combination!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Oh yum! Your corn muffins are soo pretty too!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Natalie Que said...

Oh yum, I am borderline obsessed with beans and LOVE soups like this {though unlike for you, they are NOT cheap for me! Black beans are over $2.00 a can here -I've resorted to sorting, soaking, and cooking my own and they are actually much better!}

The corn muffins sound great, I usually stick to real traditional on those {I use the Pioneer Woman's recipe for cornbread, it is excellent} -I haven't really branched out into using a recipe with specs and color and HEAT! Great idea. I'll have to give it a try and see how we like it.

Congrats on the awards.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Now that's some yummy looking comfort food!

5:38 AM  
Blogger Stacey Snacks said...

Maria,
I love Dori Greenspan's book. Those muffins are so great with chili. Your bean soup looks amazing!
I will make it this winter!
Stacey

6:51 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

What a lovely meal for Autumn Maria. I have never made corn muffins something to look forward to and your soup looks amazing!

Rosie x

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home