Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Lemon Loaf Cake

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Lemon Loaf Cake


I finally made Barefoot Contessa's Lemon Yogurt Cake. It has been on my to do list for quite some time now. The results were fabulous! I didn't have any yogurt so I cheated and used sour cream. I am guessing it did about the same thing because the cake was super moist and super delicious! I love that it got a good drenching of lemon syrup AND lemon glaze! It was pucker up, lemon good!


I can't wait to try this cake with other citrus fruits. I may even throw in blueberries or raspberries too! There are lots of options for this cake, but it was excellent as is!


Fresh from the Oven!


Getting drenched with the lemon syrup!



Time for a lemon glaze bath!


A slice of heaven!



Lemon Loaf Cake

Adapted From Barefoot Contessa


Ingredients

1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 C. plain whole-milk yogurt (I used sour cream)
1 1/3 C. sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 tsp. grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 C. vegetable oil ( I used canola oil)
1/3 C. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Glaze:
1 C. confectioners’ sugar
2 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 C. lemon juice and remaining 1/3 C. sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake. Slice and serve!

Labels: ,

41 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Seed said...

I was lucky enough to taste this scrumptious cake -- it is a keeper!
Maria out did herself, as usual.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I have seen that and been wanting to try it! It looks absolutely heavenly!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Beth (jamandcream) said...

I adore lemon cake. I usually use Tana Ramseys recipe (Gordon Ramsey's Wife) but I will try this one next time

8:25 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

That looks so beautiful with the glaze! Lemon cake is one of my favorites. My husband's grandma makes it best, but I'm thinking this recipe could challenge that!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I have been wanting to try this cake for awhile too. Yours looks delicious.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Katerina said...

This looks great, it has been on my list to try for awhile too. I love Ina Garten!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Suburban Monkey said...

As you know i am a big fan of this cake!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Jersey Girl Cooks said...

What a perfect looking loaf. Oh,and I could eat 2 plates of your ravioli!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

That looks great! I love watching barefoot contessa!

10:24 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

Thanks for the sweet comment on Prudy's blog! Your lemon loaf looks lovely!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Tis one is also on my to do list. Yours looks great!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Teanna DiMicco said...

That lemon glaze looks soooo good!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Wow that cake looks moist and delicious! I love lemon cake, it just goes with anything :) Awesome job.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Prudy said...

I've been eyeing lemon loaf cakes all summer and I've just got to break down and make one. I'm dying for one with berries on the side.

11:54 AM  
Blogger The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Beautiful. I love lemon cake. I haven't found the perfect recipe yet though. I must try this one. I don't have any of the BC cookbooks, but my sister-in-law is obsessed with her (she was obsessed even before she was on FN). I'll have to borrow from her library.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Dianne's Dishes said...

That looks fabulous!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

Every time I read your blog I get hungry. :) Ps - the pics of your house are so cute!!

1:22 PM  
Blogger vanillasugarblog said...

Isn't that the best recipe? I've made this so many times; I never tire of lemon loaf. Love that glaze.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Thistlemoon said...

This is one of the best little cakes EVER! It looks great!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Tina Butler said...

That looks so good and so moist. great job. Thanks for stopping by.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

The lemon loaf looks amazing! I've never used a syrup after taking a cake out of the oven while it is still warm.. how does it change the texture? I'm sure it adds a lot of moisture, but does it change the crumb?

4:22 PM  
Blogger eatme_delicious said...

Oh this looks good! I'm going to have to add it to my list..

6:24 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Your blog is looking great! I'm glad you're having fun. I'm adding a link to you on my blog.

6:59 PM  
Blogger test it comm said...

That lemon cake looks so good with the lemon glaze dripping all over!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

This looks scrumptious. I can almost imagine the delightful lemony aroma just from looking at the pic.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Steph- the cake is very moist. We loved the texture.

Kalyn- thanks for putting us on your blog!

Thanks everyone for the comments.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Jacque said...

Mmmm, that looks so yummy! and the drizzle makes it perfect. Nice work!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

That cake looks delish! You did a great job with great pictures too.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow... looks so moist and delicious... :)

2:31 AM  
Blogger Natalie Que said...

Oh yum, mouth watering delicious! I love Ina's food, you can't go wrong! Might have to try this one!

3:17 AM  
Blogger Clumbsy Cookie said...

Oh my! This looks absolutely perfect!!! So golden and delicious! I want a slice!!!

3:46 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Looks delicious. I love lemon cakes. I will have to try this one. Thanks!

4:09 AM  
Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am crazy about anything with lemon it it and your cake looks amazing. I've been getting caught up on your blog...you make the spinach ravioli look so easy and delicious and the pictures of your new home are gorgeous!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Kelley Flint said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi... i do appreciate you dropping by... and hope you don't mind... but i love to hear about what you have to say... you're now also tagged... :)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Laura Paterson said...

Snap - I made a lemon loaf cake last night!! Haven't tried it yet - what self-restraint!

12:45 AM  
Blogger CECIL said...

I can never have enough of lemon cake and look at that glaze!! I may have to make this very soon!

6:20 AM  
Blogger grace said...

oh lemon syrup, how i adore you.
oh lemon glaze, i adore you even more. what a stellar cake! :)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Chef Jeena said...

Fabulous cake it would not last long in my house.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

My aunt says that Ina stole her recipe :) which I find funny since they have never met and I can't tell her that I love both versions equally!!
Looks delicious!!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Maria♥ said...

Maria this is one gorgeous Lemon Loaf Cake. I must try this soon!

Maria
x

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home