Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Applesauce Spice Bars

Monday, September 15, 2008

Applesauce Spice Bars




I love fall, I really do, but for some reason I am having a hard time admitting it is here. I had a great summer and I am sad to see it go.

On Friday we went up to Park City for a church party and we noticed the leaves are already changing colors and it was quite chilly up there! I guess it is time to embrace fall and enjoy it.


For the party I made Dorie's Applesauce Spice Bars...I figured this dessert would get everyone in the mood for fall! I was right, the bars were delicious and just tasted like "fall." Apples, cinnamon, a brown sugar/vanilla glaze...YUM! The bars weren't heavy, they were light, moist, and the glaze gave them a nice shine.


These are the perfect treat to take to a party. So great, I am submitting these to Susan's
Blogiversary Bash at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy. Happy Blogiversary!! Thanks for hosting such a fun event.



Applesauce Spice Bars,
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan:Baking From My Home to Yours

For the bars:
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 baking apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
1/2 cup raisins


For the glaze:
2 1/2 Tb. heavy cream
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp. butter
1 tsp. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Butter and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350.Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat.Still in the saucepan, whisk in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well until blended. Add the applesauce, vanilla until smooth. With a spatula, add the dry ingredients and raisins and mix until combined.Scrape into the pan and bake 20 -25 minutes.
Let cool and prepare the glaze in the meantime.

In a saucepan, whisk the cream, sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and stir in the vanilla.
Remove the bars from the pan and set on a wire rack positioned on top of a sheet pan to catch the drips. Pour the glaze over the bars and let set, cut as desired.

Labels: ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

I love fall but have a hard time stomaching that snow is right around the corner...

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love fall too, but it's still 95 degrees here! This recipe looks great!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Kathy Seed said...

Maria, your recipe looks absolutely SCRUMTIOUS! I can't wait to try this one. Thanks again for finding all of the perfect recipes. Love you, Mom Kathy

9:58 AM  
Blogger Usha said...

Your recipe sounds perfect...and since I am very much in the mood for baking these days...will give it a try soon :)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Veronica said...

The fall is my favorite season, but today is a hot humid 80 in CT...grrr...I want to wear a sweater.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Yum, I have been wanting to try these and they look superb!

10:22 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

I've got to make those. It got down to 83 here so it feels like fall! Pathetic, I know, but you take what you can get!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow... fall... is it possible to love fall without ever experiencing it? :) lovely thing to bring... bet they all loved it...

10:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

btw... i finally added you in my favorite reads... thanks :)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

What a great recipe for fall. I'll have to give it a try!

11:12 AM  
Blogger The Caked Crusader said...

Apple and spice makes autumn nice! I'm drawn to so many recipes like this that I have to ration myself; personally, I'd be quite hapy making an apple cake every week! Your bars look delicious

11:52 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

The fall is my favorite time of year. It's brisk, beautiful and the best time to cook in my opinion. This recipe looks delightful! The glaze looks mouth watering good.

1:02 PM  
Blogger La Bella Cooks said...

I am sad to see summer go as well and it seemed to have gone by so fast this year. I love this recipe for the applesauce bars and am glad they turned out so well for you. I'm looking forward to more of your fall dish postings!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I was just looking at that recipe too :) I'm glad you liked it so much. I was teetering back and forth while thinking of what to do next. Thanks for trying it out for me, now I know it's a keeper :)

1:46 PM  
Blogger NKP said...

You can't go wrong with Dorie!
I love fall for the apples and the colours. These are perfect for the changing of seasons.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Carmen Cooks said...

ooh looks like a lovely recipe for fall - i remember seeing this recipe in the book and will have to try it out!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Congratulations on the Yummy Blog award fellow winner, do I say femmow (for female) if it is a girl? I love the crisp weather of fall, but summer is my favorite for food, probably because my grandparents farmed, and I prefer less clothes. But the birds getting ready for winter and the coming storms, I do love that also.

4:12 PM  
Blogger priscilla joy said...

hi maria! thanks for stopping by my blog. i enjoyed going thru yours, and i know i will be making some of your recipes. i can't wait to try out the alton brown pretzel recipe, i have been looking for a pretzel recipe. these bars look yummo, i don't want fall to come really either.:)

4:49 PM  
Blogger CECIL said...

It absolutely look like a winner for perfect fall weather! With a cup of hot apple cider. Yum!

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHOA these look good! Starring this recipe!!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Ya know, a few days ago I wasn't quite ready for fall, but with all these delicious autumnal delights popping up I just might be. These look delish. See you at the party!

7:15 PM  
Blogger alexandra's kitchen said...

Gosh, I really need to get a Dorie Greenspan cookbook. Every recipe of hers sounds/looks fabulous. These are perfect for fall!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Delicious!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I'm definitely in the fall state of mind. I think these would be a great topper for football game food.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Maria♥ said...

I love Fall, it's my favourite time of year! These cake bars look absolutely delish.

Maria
x

5:59 AM  
Blogger grace said...

i've had this recipe on my desk for weeks and i think i've finally been inspired to make it--the glaze is the kicker for me. nice job. :)

6:31 AM  
Blogger Susan @ SGCC said...

Whoa! Your bars look scrumptious! Thank you so much for sending them over. They are perfect!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Natalie Que said...

Delicious!

3:32 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

These cake bars look absolutely delicious and the fall is a lovely time of the year.

Rosie x

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home