Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Zucchini Bread

Monday, August 11, 2008

Zucchini Bread

I love summer! Even though we don't have a huge garden, we still manage to enjoy fresh produce, thanks to friends and the farmer's market. Over the weekend our friend Jess let us raid his garden. I made zucchini bread with a huge zucchini we found. The big guys are perfect for baking. Thanks Jess!

And sorry about your cabbage. Josh got a little carried away...oops! He took the whole plant. We owe you!




Below is the zucchini bread recipe from Everyday Food. I chose this recipe because of the brown sugar. A lot zucchini bread recipes call for white sugar only...well, I am a fan of the brown! The bread was soft, moist, and the brown sugar really came through for me! I love the spices too! It was delicious. This recipe is a keeper.

What a great way to sneak in veggies!


Fresh from the oven!



Little bits of green in every slice!



Sliced and ready to eat!


Zucchini Spice Bread
Everyday Food

Ingredients

Serves 12.

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, and set aside. Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater (to yield 1 3/4 cups); set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, oil, vanilla, and eggs.

2. Into a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well. Stir in grated zucchini.

3. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack, then reinvert, top side up. Cool completely before slicing.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger RecipeGirl said...

Hi Maria,

I completely agree about the brown sugar. Sometimes if a bread recipe calls for all white, I'll sub half brown. I just like the flavor. I love sneaking that zucchini in where I can too. I have a Zucchini Beef Enchiladas recipe that does the same thing!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Prudy said...

Yum-that bersion does really look good. I always buy dark brown because I love the stuff so much. Your little birthday nieces is so cute and your Alaska trip looks amazing. I love your dress in the one legged pic. I didn't even notice the lack of leg since I was admiring your dress.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Wow, look at that cabbage! And your bread looks delicious!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

That's a lot of cabbage! I need to retry baking with zucchini. Last time I tried baking a batch of zucchini brownies that did not go over well with my husband. I was trying to be sneaky!

I love brown sugar as well & think it keeps everything nice and moist.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I was going to make zucchini bread this week - and I was looking for a new recipe to try! I had one zucchini that I picked last week. I made a loaf of bread, and it only used 1/3 of the zucchini!!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Clumbsy Cookie said...

Yummy! It looks like it has a wonderful texture!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

this looks great. i agree that everything is better w/brown sugar instead of white!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Amy Beatty said...

I'm so excited about this. My neighbor just gave me one big zucchini. I can't wait to try out this recipe!!!!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Engineer Baker said...

Zucchini bread is always a winner, although I had to convince my cw's that it didn't taste like zucchini :) I'm a fan of brown sugar over white any day too - things just seem moister with it.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home