Looking for a quick and easy meal idea? Try a panini! They are perfect for lunch or dinner. We love making them because they are fast, healthy, and we can "build our own."
Josh always puts turkey on his, but I stick to all veggies. We just use what we have on hand, but some of my favorites are: zucchini, eggplant, yellow squash, mushrooms, roasted peppers, onions, tomatoes, and artichokes. I LOVE loading on the veggies. The sandwich smashes down so it is good to start with a mile high panini!
We use whole wheat ciabatta rolls from a local bakery. I always brush the bread with balsamic vinegar and sometimes I add pesto or a spicy mustard. We also add cheese, Josh likes a lot, I like a little mozzarella.
If you don't have a panini maker, no worries. You can use a pan and smash the panini down with another pan. I highly recommend buying a panini maker though, we LOVE ours. We have the Villaware model.
Serve your paninis with a salad, fruit, or side of veggies and you are set!! Get creative and use whatever sandwich fillings your heart desires! The recipe below is pretty vague, I am sure you can figure out how to put together a panini:) Use your favorites and enjoy!
Have a great weekend everyone!
Whole wheat ciabatta bread (or bread of your choice, thick/hearty bread works best)
Meat (Josh uses turkey, use whatever you like)
Veggies (Add on lots!)
Pesto, Spicy mustard, or any other condiment you wish
Cheese of your choice
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat up the panini maker or pan.
2. Cut the bread and brush each side with balsamic vinegar.
3. If using veggies, brush them with vinegar and grill them on the panini maker or pan. I like to do this to bring out the flavor in the veggies before they go on the sandwich.
4. Add meat, veggies, and cheese, condiments, salt, and pepper or whatever toppings you are working with to your bread.
5. Place the panini on the maker and smash...or smash with another pan.
6. Cook for about five minutes.
7. Cut and enjoy!