Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Baked Penne Pasta with Italian Sausage

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Baked Penne Pasta with Italian Sausage



Last week Josh and his brother, Matt, spent numerous hours working in our yard. I feel guilty because I really didn't help much. I think I picked up a rake once, oops! They really worked hard and did a great job. I did contribute by feeding them though. That should count for something, right?

One night I made pasta for the boys. I love pasta because it is cheap, easy, and the choices are endless. We had leftover grilled Italian sausages and ricotta cheese so I decided to do a baked pasta. I added in onion, garlic, and roasted peppers too. I topped everything off with my homemade marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.

The individual baked pastas came out nice and bubbly. The guys were thrilled to come in for dinner. I didn't taste it because I don't do meat, but the lack of conversation at the dinner table was a good sign. They devoured their pasta in minutes.

Sorry this recipe is kind of random. I just made it up as I was cooking. If you have questions let me know. I don't think you can mess it up! Just mix it all up, bake, and I am sure something good will come out of the oven:)

Tomorrow we are leaving for Palm Beach, Florida. We will be vacationing for an entire week. Josh's brother, Ben, and his wife, Whitney, are joining us. Should be a great time! We will try to check in from the beach! If anyone has Palm Beach suggestions-places to go or eat, let us know! Thanks friends!



Baked Penne Pasta with Italian Sausage

(Printable Recipe)


Penne pasta-cook until al dente, drain and set aside
Olive oil
Garlic-chopped
Onion, chopped
Fennel seed
Crushed red pepper
Basil, chopped
Roasted peppers-I used red and yellow-we had some in the freezer
Italian sausage-I used leftover grilled Colosimo's sausage, just cut it into chunks
Marinara sauce-I used my homemade sauce, but you can use store bought
Ricotta cheese
Mozzarella cheese

1. Spray baking dish with cooking spray. I used 2 individual dishes. You can use a big one for a large group. Spread marinara sauce on the bottom of the dishes.
2. In a skillet, heat olive oil. Add in onion, garlic, fennel seed, crushed red pepper, basil, and roasted peppers. Cook until tender.
3. Add in sausage chunks. Cook for a couple of minutes.
4. In a bowl, mix pasta with marinara sauce. Add in the pepper/sausage mixture.
5. Divide pasta evenly in dishes, or put all of it in one big dish.
6. Drop spoonfuls of ricotta cheese into the pasta dishes. Make sure to mix it a little bit. You want it to be in with the pasta/sauce mixture.
7. Sprinkle with mozzerella cheese and mix a little bit.
8. Cover the top of the pasta with more mozzerella and fresh basil.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until bubbly.
10. Enjoy!

Labels: ,

58 Comments:

Blogger Finla said...

Wow that really looks so so baked dleicous :-)

5:52 AM  
Blogger ♥Rosie♥ said...

Your boys certainly have been working hard but so have you Maria with your wonderful creations to feed them! I love pasta and this looks gorgeous - a must try.

Rosie x

6:12 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

The pasta sounds delicious! Have a great time in Florida!

6:13 AM  
Blogger vanillasugarblog said...

one of my fav dishes and would you believe my hubby is Italian and does NOT like italian sausage? so when I make this I have to make a small one for me or else I eat it all!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love such casseroles! A delicious looking dish!

Cheers,

Rosa

6:31 AM  
Blogger Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Looks wonderful! I love baked pastas, as well.

6:44 AM  
Blogger kat said...

This is just darn good comfort food!

6:45 AM  
Blogger RecipeGirl said...

Yummy comfort food! Have a great time on your trip!!!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Looks fabulous- nothing beats a good pasta dish. Have SO much fun on your vacation!

6:53 AM  
Blogger stephchows said...

Feeding the work crew is JUST as important! Have an amazing vacation!! Wear sunscreen :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

I love this type of casserole. You'll be able to hoardes delicious and nutritious food. Have a wonderful day.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Yum, the bet the guys enjoyed this! It looks delicious. Pasta is always a great "go to" meal.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Ingrid_3Bs said...

I make something very similar, hadn't thought to add peppers. Yours looks really good! Great photo!

Bring an umbrella and lots of sunscreen! It's our rainy season. Most days at some point during the day it storms and then is all clear again. Hope the weather behaves for ya. Enjoy your vacation!
~ingrid

7:59 AM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

We are in Toronto for the long weekend, where it is rainy and cold - so this looks amazing! Exactly the kind of warm and comforting dish I could use right now.

9:09 AM  
Blogger The Caked Crusader said...

I love it - it looks delicious. I always like the way the top goes a little crispy - that's the best bit!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Amy Beatty said...

You guys are going to have so much fun, so jealous. You will need to blog about it for us. Have you ever tried to use the soy sausage, know what I'm talking about? Anyways, I haven't yet, but I got some the other day, and can't wait to try it.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

This looks like one of my favorite meals - and I love that you made them individually!

9:44 AM  
Blogger pinkstripes said...

Looks fantastic! Have fun on your trip!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Gaby said...

wow that sounds delicious!!! Anything with ricotta and mozzarella is my fav!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

can't go wrong with this comforting dish :)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Baked pasta always looks so rustic, like something a grandma would make!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

We always eat at the Crab House. They have a beautiful covered porch that you can sit right up to the water while you eat. Very relaxing. It is in Jupiter, just the next town up. I bought the pb chips to make my son the choc/pb cookies. He is going to LOVE them.

11:42 AM  
Blogger teresa said...

They looks great! Have a wonderful vacation!

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

That looks delicious. I love baked pastas too (like the one I did for Mom's birthday). Cheesy, gooey goodness. You hit it on the head.

Have a great vacation!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Veron said...

I agree with you pasta is cheap, easy and delicious...and this is no exception!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When things are individually cooked they are always so much more fun! Looks delicious!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

That looks great. One of our favorite go-to meals here is pasta. It just may have to be dinner tonight--we even have some leftover brats from Monday. Hmm. Great idea, Maria.
Have a GREAT time on your vacation!!!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Have a great time on vacation!! I love dinners like this, this is comfort food!!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Kerstin said...

You definitely contributed if you fed them a fantastic pasta dish like that one :)

I hope you have a fabulous vacation!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love ricotta. I am slowly but surely getting the hubs to also.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

These are such great dishes and almost anything can be added. I like that you have roasted peppers and Italian Sausage in there- such a great combination.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Monica H said...

Looks good. have fun!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Donna-FFW said...

Sounds absolutely delicious for a random recipe.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

I don't know if it's just because I'm starving, but that looks divine!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Kate @ Savour Fare said...

Oh yum! I love sausages and that looks perfect for hungry men!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Way to use up the left overs! Looks wonderfully tasty. Hope you have a great vacation.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

This sounds delicious - I love a good baked pasta dish. Have a great vacation!!

7:03 PM  
Blogger PheMom said...

I could go for a nice big bowl of this! It looks soooo good!

8:11 PM  
Blogger NKP said...

I love these kinds of casual recipes, totally delish!

8:47 PM  
Blogger MissBliss said...

I. Need. A. Bite. or two. :)

9:18 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'd be thrilled to come into dinner and be greeted with this dish! Looks delicious! Have a great time in Palm beach. Snap a picture to share. :)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Esi said...

I love recipes that come together almost randomly like this. Hope you have a great time on vacay!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

like u i m a pasta afficianado too...

great recipe thanks for sharing :)

3:05 AM  
Blogger sugarlens said...

Have a fabulous vacation!

Your pasta looks like the ultimate comfort food!

3:08 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

I think it sounds great! My kind of meal!

Have fun on your vacation! I've never been there before. I bet you'll have a good time.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

I hope your injury feels better and that vaca does your belly well!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love these pasta dishes that can be thrown together in a flash. I would say you did your part:D

5:19 AM  
Blogger grace said...

i'm sure there were no complaints about your lack of raking. i know it's a horrible stereotype to say that women belong in the kitchen, but it's where i'd rather be!!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

The pasta looks great. Have a GREAT time on vacation - I'm jealous!

7:19 AM  
Blogger CookiePie said...

YUM - looks hearty and delicious!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penne and sausage bake sounds excellent, what a nice meal!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Baked pastas are the best. This looks delicious! Have a great trip!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Manggy said...

These baked pastas are always a treat for me :) Have a great holiday! :)

12:23 AM  
Blogger anudivya said...

I love it when pasta and baked go in the same sentence. Whole wheat pasta would be awesome too, nice nutty and wholesome flavor.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Elyse said...

Thanks for this "random" recipe--I can tell it's a real winner. Todd would totally love a dish like this. And judging by Josh's reaction, it was AMAZING! By the way, Palm Beach sounds wonderful :) What fun!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

This is my kind of comfort food - yum!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Spryte said...

Catching up on your blog is totally making my stomach growl! That looks soooo good!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Isn't it funny how when no one talks during a meal you KNOW it's good? LOL

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home