Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Recipe for Tofu Vegetable Stir Fry

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Recipe for Tofu Vegetable Stir Fry



We love making stir fry. It is so easy and it is a great way to sneak in lots and lots of veggies!! This time we added in tofu for protein...and we like the stuff!

Josh volunteered to make the sauce, so I chopped up the veggies. This time we used snow peas, zucchini, green and yel
low peppers, mushrooms, bean sprouts, and eggplant. We marinated the tofu in the sauce and then grilled it on our indoor grill pan. I think this helps the texture and it also holds together better.

We used a big wok to stir fry everything toget
her. We served the veggies and tofu over rice. It was most delicious. Josh's sauce was incredible...he still thinks it needs perfecting, but I thought it was perfect:) The recipe is below, sorry there are no exact measurements on the sauce. Josh never measures, but I am sure you can figure it out. It is easy, just make the sauce to your taste!!!

My sister's family came o
ver for dinner and everyone enjoyed the meal. Sometimes I get nervous serving tofu to a crowd, but they loved it! There is no reason to be afraid...it is good stuff!! My niece even ate it!! We had a fun night!













Tofu Vegetable Stir Fry


Sauce:
Onion, chopped
Garilic, minced
Olive oil
Lite soy sauce
Water
Honey
Orange Zest, from one orange
Fresh Squeezed Orange juice, from one orange
Light Brown Sugar
Jalapeno, sliced
1 Red Thai Chili
1/4 teaspoon Red Thai Chili paste
Pepper to taste
Corn Startch

Extra Firm Tofu, one package
Vegetables, we used snow peas, zucchini, yellow and green peppers, eggplant, mushrooms, and bean sprouts

Rice

In a large pan saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil. Cook until tender. Add in the soy sauce, water, honey, orange zest, and juice. Stir to combine. Add in brown sugar and stir. Next, add the jalapeno slices, thai chili, and chili paste. Simmer for about five minutes. Taste, if you need to add anything, do so now. Add salt and pepper.

Stir in corn starch that has been mixed in a little water. Stir until the sauce thickens. If you need to add more corn starch you can. Just don' t get it too thick.

Marinade the tofu in some of the sauce, for at least 15 minutes. Grill on a grill pan on high heat.

Stir fry the vegetables in a little oil in a big wok. Add in the sauce and tofu. Stir fry until everything is cooked and tender. Make sure the sauce is coating the veggies and tofu. Serve over rice with extra sauce, if desired.

Labels: , , ,

40 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The colors are fantastic! Great mid-week meal with wonderful veggies!

5:21 AM  
Blogger LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Loooove stir-fry dishes!!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Looks great, I made thai curried tofu the other night!

5:41 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Those kids are so cute! Love stir Fry-favorite go to dinner!

5:46 AM  
Blogger pigpigscorner said...

Yummy looking stir fry! I love stir fries too, so simple yet delicious! And you can just throw in whatever you have in the fridge!

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This stir fry looks delicious!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

love stir-fries, especially with so many great healthy ingredients!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I love snow peas-- looks delicious!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Culinary Wannabe said...

Wow, can't believe you got the kids to eat tofu! Even I will only eat it if it's been fried up to have a bit of texture.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Suburban Monkey said...

I love tofu...I tried serving it for dinner last week, Ben took one look and told me he would not be eating my dinner that night :( He isnt very daring with some ingredients!!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Sara- Thai curried tofu sounds great!! I will have to try that next!

Culinarywannabe- I was surprised Aubrey ate the tofu. I think she thought it was chicken:)

7:44 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Whit- we need to work on Ben!! He needs to be more adventurous with his food!!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Elyse said...

I love tofu and I love stir fry. Your pictures have convinced me that I need to make this recipe tonight. It looks absolutely delicious!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Amy Beatty said...

This is perfect for us, we don't really make anything with meat either!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Looks healthy and tasty. Another great recipe.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Thanks for this! I have been eating lots of tofu lately and now I have another way to enjoy it!

Beautiful kiddos!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Amy- Let me know if you try this one!

Meg- I am glad you enjoy tofu. We sure do!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

This looks so good. I wasn't always sure about tofu, but I've learned to like it and now I welcome it...especially in my egg drop soup. Your pictures make me wish I had this dish right now! :)

10:44 AM  
Blogger teresa said...

That looks so delicious and healthy! Tofu usually intimidates me, so I'm glad to have some tips on how to prepare it!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Yum, tofu veggie stir fry is one of my favorite dishes ever! Yours looks delicious, I especially love the mushrooms, mmm! And how nice to have the kids enjoying the tofu as well, adorable :)

11:21 AM  
Blogger Ingrid_3Bs said...

They're cuties & what big eyes!
~ingrid

11:57 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

MarĂ­a I love the pictures and all look wonderful but I love the childs!! so cute,xGloria

12:29 PM  
Blogger NKP said...

Mmmm, I love a good stir-fry! I cook it just like Josh, a little this, a little that - 'til it tastes great.
Wonderful way to get some nutrition into the kids.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow... healthy and tasty... how cute are those kids eating their veggies... :)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Manggy said...

Well, there's a Thai red chili in it! I'm officially in love! Plus, I do love the feeling of eating veggies deliciously :)

4:15 PM  
Blogger Donna-FFW said...

Stir-frys are some of my favorite fooods, well all foods are, unfortunately. But this looks FANTASTIC! Colors are gorgeous!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Sophie said...

That's great that your whole family enjoyed it! I've been wanting to cook with more tofu lately, but was kind of scared to do so...I'm keeping this recipe on tab, I'll need to use it soon :). Love all those veggies too!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Sounds and looks fabulous. I love tofu and stir fry. Yum!

6:01 PM  
Blogger How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I loooove stir fry! Totally adorable kids, btw! :D

7:28 PM  
Blogger test it comm said...

This stir-fry looks hearty healthy and tasty!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Usha said...

Love stir fry and the sauce sounds yum :-)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

That's one fabulous looking stir-fry, and the sauce sounds spectacular.

9:08 PM  
Blogger La Bella Cooks said...

Delicious!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks fanfabulous! And those are some cute blue eyes!!! What a darling. The food and photos stunning!

10:31 PM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so happy you posted this. Ben's been wanting to try tofu and this looks like a perfect way to tiptoe into it!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

looks fantastic :) and your niece is too cute with those flowers!!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Never had tofu but I would like to try sometime.

8:15 PM  
Blogger grace said...

oh, the cuteness. :)
why do people think they don't like tofu? if you prepare it correctly, it's absolutely wonderful--great dish!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Oh I just love the pic of the little girl with he tongue sticking out. Too cute.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Eleanor Hoh said...

Thanks for comment on my blog, Healthy Snacks. Hope you'll visit other posts esp. ONE-DISH WOK MEALS and Wok Up your Own Creations! I am so pleased you like wok stir frys and like TOFU. I think you and Josh will enjoy my NO-recipe, NO-measuring technique to wok cooking as he already doesn't measure.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home